Ecclesfield Priory line drawing

The Benedictine priory, here portrayed in a drawing by W.G. Fox dating from 1887, still survives close to the church. It was built to accommodate the monks of St Wandrille’s abbey in Normandy who were granted the church and land in Ecclesfield parish by the lord of the manor. It was first recorded in 1273. In the fourteenth century it passed to St Anne’s priory of Coventry. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries it was converted into a dwelling house which it remains to this day.

Image Details

Archiving Reference Number to be added
Search Year
Type Photograph
Contributor/s Original from Alexander and Joan Swann
Collection Holder
Date Donated to the EDA 1st October 2016

Sorry this item cannot be purchased.