Barnes Hall, Bracken Hill.
Scroll the mousewheel to zoom
The name Barnes is believed to be derived from the Anglo-Saxon word bere-aern meaning a barley house or barn. The present Barnes Hall was built by William Smith, formerly of Cowley Manor, in 1823. To make way for the new house the old Barnes Hall of fourteenth century origin was demolished. In 1891 the Smith family employed a butler, governess, housekeeper, cook and four maids. Later Barnes Hall was the home of Lady Mabel Smith (née Fitzwilliam) (1870-1951), and Colonel William Mackenzie Smith.
|Archiving Reference Number||E/001/a/B CHGA|
|Contributor/s||Original from Alan Boulton|
|Date Donated to the EDA||1st October 2016|
Sorry this item cannot be purchased.